Thursday, December 10, 2009

Try This at Home


If you don't stop to think about all the germs on the utensils and the potential for contamination, I love a good salad bar.

Kinda lame, I know. But there's something about having choices and control and the ability to make my salad my own that makes me happy.


Setting up a simple "salad bar" at home is really easy and gives everyone a bit of a choice. With all the great pre-washed greens out there all you need to do is add the extras. If you have some cooked chicken or bacon on hand, the salad bar can be your whole meal. A couple of salad dressing choices are nice to offer... balsamic is always a good go-to when in doubt.


Green Ideas:

Spinach, Spring Mix, Romaine


Protein ideas:

Pre-Cooked Chicken*, Bacon, chopped ham, tuna, salmon


Cheeses:

Feta, Goat, Shredded Cheddar or Parm


Extras:

Sliced Grapes, Strawberries, Craisins, Dried Currents, mixed seeds & nuts, Pomegranates


*Last time I brushed balsamic salad dressing onto 4 breasts and oven roasted them. This gave me plenty of chicken meat for salads for a day or two.

1 comment:

kari said...

This looks so yummy, way better than the dinner I had. Will try the salad bar idea soon, the kids will like making their own.